Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Reading the Bible

I have never been a big reader of the Bible. I have used the Bible as a reference tool. If I have had questions on a particular subject, I haven't hesitated to turn to its pages. There is a recipe box on the windsill in my kitchen with a number of Bible verses that have a personal significance for me that I can review when I see fit. Once upon a time, I even had the books of the Bible memorized

I am a voracious reader of secular literature. I read magazines, books, flyers, the internet, just about anything I can get my hands on. I have read murder mystery, greyhound literature, true crime books, romance novels, suspense thrillers, and history.

Today, as I read the chapter in Genesis between today's reflection and tomorrow's, I realized I am not sure why I haven't been willing to sit down with my Bible and simply read it. Currently, I am ready about the love story between Sarah and Abraham. I have already read about Cain's murder of Abel and the genealogy from Adam to Noah. The Bible contains all of the elements of books I have been drawn to read before.

No comments:

Post a Comment