Monday, March 9, 2009

Prayer Table

In our living room is a prayer table. It holds my Catholic Woman's Devotional Bible, my grandmother's missile, a ceramic representation of the Last Supper, my rosary, and several devotional books. There is also a beautiful picture of Jesus, which I received on my Emmaus retreat. Dave's candle from his Emmaus retreat is next to the picture.

Prior to my Emmaus, a prayer table was a foreign concept. I had never heard of it, would never have considered it. I wasn't opposed to it, just unfamiliar.

When I first came home from Emmaus, we put together the first table immediately. Our family spent a fair amount of time, individually, using it. Study sheets and coloring pages were there for the boys. Over time, however, our living room saw less and less use. With fewer people in and out of the room, it became easier to forget the prayer table was there.

This winter, we had the remodeling finished on the main floor of the house. With that, we have resumed our use of the upstairs living room. Our prayer table is back, and I am grateful. It has only been here again two days, but I have already stopped, on each day, during the chaos of the day, to speak with Jesus. To finish the area, we are going to bring out Dave's Grandmother's holy water font and move our crucifix to be over the table. In the overall scope of what the table means, these are minor details. It just feels so good to have it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment