Monday, March 30, 2009

Meal Prayers

Prayer before meals is a staple at our house. We usually say the Catholic table grace. Dave, however, was raised with, what we call, a Lutheran table grace. There are times when we choose to say that prayer instead.

Personally, my preference is the Catholic table grace. It is the table grace my family used when I was a child. It reminds me of my grandparents, especially my father's mother.

There are prayers before every meal at our home, even if we aren't all together. There are prayers before breakfast, lunch and supper. There are prayers at home and prayers in restaurants and prayers at family homes. We have individual prayers and family prayers. We are thankful for the blessings we have been given and it is such a small way to remember Who provided everything we have.

My fear is the prayers become routine, habit and not heartfelt. It becomes meaningless when there are only words said. If there isn't thought and reflection tied to the pray, it is easy to get distracted from what the words mean. I will focus on being present in the moment of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment