Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mysterious Ways

I got up this morning with a set plan for my life. AM routine, kids ready for school, morning prayer, kids to school, downtime, office, Soup and Sermon at 11:45, meeting at 1, finish up in the office, supper, evening routine, teach Faith Formation, drop off my vehicle for an oil change, and then home for homework and then bed. That is not how the day panned out.

CD had a little incident on the ski slopes last Saturday. He was hit in the head by a ski that flew off someone's boot when they wiped out. He has been dealing with some headaches and memory issues which are increasing in frequency and severity rather than decreasing.

I had the second call on a school day in the early morning class hours looking for feedback on a headache which had already been treated by an over the counter medication. I contacted his doctor, who ordered a CT Scan...in fifteen minutes. He was in school ten minutes away in the opposite direction. I asked them to call the scheduler and let them know we would be there as soon as possible and I left to pick him up.

Instead of Soup and Sermon, we had a quick trip from school to hospital. I called one of my Emmaus Sisters and asked her to send out a prayer request. By the time CD was registered, Emmaus women were already praying for him.

CD was sent back to school, per the doctor's authorization. On the way back to to town, I spoke with someone who was bringing the Eucharist to the hospital this week. She needed a sub to fill in for her. Instead of Soup and Sermon for my own benefit, I was able to bring the Eucharist to several people at our local hospital.

Today did not go as I had planned. I was disappointed I was going to miss my own participation in some annual Lenten traditions for our parish. In the long run, though, the Lord met my spiritual needs, even if it wasn't what I had originally thought it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment