Friday, May 22, 2009

Faith Based Medical Decisions

Many years ago, more than I can remember without counting on my fingers, my speaking topic for Original Oratory was about the consequences of forgoing medical treatment based on faith. Typically, I had prepared my speech by researching the opposing argument and preparing my speech to argue against my original belief. As an unrelated side note, it was during one of these exercises I was able to more fully explore my feelings on abortion and officially changed my perspective from "pro-choice" to "pro-life."

This topic, however, I couldn't begin to argue. I do not believe my faith is weak. I know God is capable of any miracle he chooses to impart. I also believe God has been able to give the gift of knowledge to the doctors and researchers in order to be able to adequately treat medical crises.

Currently, there is a 13 year old boy, on the run with his mother, from a neighboring town. They are fighting the court system because they want to force the child to receive chemotherapy to deal with his lymphoma. The mother wants to treat her son with natural remedies, to date largely unsuccessfully.

My prayer tonight is for Daniel to come home to his father and those who love him. I pray the mother is able to see the light before it is too late. I also pray for peace for his father while he waits for his wife and child to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment