Sunday, May 17, 2009

Back to Currie

Camping at the lake has resumed. We have now had two or three Saturday overnights at the camper. This weekend, Saturday evening Mass resumed in Currie. It feels good to be back at our home away from home.

One of the traditions I enjoy the most there is actually at the end of Mass. The final song is sung. The priest and servers process out. All throughout the Church, the kneelers thump down again. Almost every person there kneels again. It took me two summers to work up the courage to ask someone why they did that.

The entire parish prays, at the end of every mass, an Our Father for the repose of the souls of those who die without the benefit of clergy present them. I don't know how the tradition started. I don't know if I ever will uncover the history of it. It is such a powerful tradition to be a part of, though. Everyone coming together to pray for people they may never meet, week after week.

No comments:

Post a Comment