Friday, February 27, 2009

Jesus, Remember Me

As a family, we are completing a daily Lenten devotional. Each day there is a reflection based on scripture, a prayer and a suggested penance. Some of the penances are harder than they appear at first blush. Ash Wednesday's penance seemed to be very easy at first glance. The suggested penance was to pray Jesus' name for 15 minutes.

Honestly, I failed the suggested penance. I cannot sit still long enough to complete 15 minutes of prayer that is confined strictly to His name on very many occasions. Also, I could not quite grasp what I needed to be praying to make sure I was meeting the fifteen minute requirement without just repetitively saying His name, but not actually praying. Once in awhile, I really think too hard instead of just doing.

Tonight, though, we had our first Lenten Stations of the Cross. At the very end, Father closed with singing "Jesus, remember me when you go into your kingdom." The tune is stuck in my head, but I think this is my hint to complete my fifteen minutes of penance. By singing that verse, I will be able to concentrate where I need my mind to be, while still meeting the parameters of the penance. I will be three days late, but it will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment