Sunday, June 14, 2009

Celebrating the Body and Blood of Christ

Three years ago this week, on the Sunday commemorating the Body and Blood of Christ, we re-dedicated our wedding bands. My original set disappeared at some point when Dave's dad died. Dave gave me an anniversary band that Christmas, but I didn't have wedding rings for years after. Three years ago, he replaced them.

We had planned a trip to the Twin Cities that corresponded with our anniversary. Father Mike agreed to bless our rings at the baptismal font that was dedicated, in part, to the memory of Dave's parents. For more than one reason, it was a very special day.

I have never attended a Mass, other than Holy Thursdays, where the Eucharist moves in procession. That day was so spiritual. Almost the entire congregation followed the monstrance out of the Church. The walk around the city block was full of song and prayer. I cannot tell you how many people were there. I can tell you there was full participation. The voices raised together were so powerful, so resounding. I haven't felt anything like that since.

The tone of Mass this morning led us to believe today may be the day for another procession, but it was not to be. Maybe next year we will go back to St. Bernard's.

No comments:

Post a Comment