Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Patron Saint

This morning, Greg and Jennifer Willets (The Catholics Next Door) were discussing their current internet issues. They spoke of praying to Saint Isadore, the patron saint of the internet, to help them by keeping the internet operational during their show today.

There are a plethora of saints who are the patrons of almost any subject imaginable. Saint Anthony is the patron saint of lost objects. Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes. Dave gives me a hard time about the special relationship I have developed with Saint Anthony. It seems I am praying to him on a regular basis, usually related to my car keys. Just the simple act of praying has a calming influence on me. Once I am calmed and centered, it is so much easier to locate an object than when I am uptight and scatter brained because I am under the pressure of walking out the door "right now" without my keys.

Saint Anthony, though, is the only saint, other than the Virgin Mother, who I communicate with on a regular basis. Considering what I learned about Saint Isadore today, it might be time to learn about a few more. Which saints do you reach out to in your times of need?

No comments:

Post a Comment