Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bible Reading

Why is Bible reading more difficult than "regular" reading? I can read a book in an evening. It took me five hours to plow through the last Harry Potter book. My daily Bible reading today should have been 15 pages. It should have taken me 15-20 minutes, tops. With a little time for reflection, it should have been a half an hour or so of prayer time.

I can't wrap my mind around why this should be more difficult. I take a few minutes at a time, but I have difficulty focusing long enough to get through a chapter. It is possible the material is just so much more challenging than light reading. It is possible it is daunting because it is "The Bible." Or it is possible I just have a hang up.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate! I think it takes being in a special frame of mind to read non-fiction, whether it's the bible or chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good point! I am also just past the point where they were outlining lineage again. All of those names are very overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete